- I've layered the corset over a fitted blouse and a pair of silky red riding pants, both also from irkmade. Since all of these layers fit relatively snugly against the avatar, here's a layering tip: Make sure that you layer the pants several slots closer to your body than the blouse and the corset, and keep the blouse just one slot closer than the corset to keep the meshes from clipping each other (and if you have no clue what I mean by any of that, check out my article on layering clothes in Blue Mars).
- I'm wearing a newer hairstyle that I'm very fond of from Tirion Designs in Tharsis Estates, but if you're picky about your Steampunk style you can get more thematically fitting hairstyles than this at irkmade and elsewhere around Caledonia.
- The finishing touches on this look are a choker from Sketchy Fever in Gaia, and my favorite buttons black boots from Adam n Eve in Caledonia.
- If you're a guy and you really want to pursue the Steampunk/Victorian look for Halloween (or otherwise!) duck next door from irkmade into Mako Magellan's menswear shop, which is literally stocked to the roof with dapper clothes for the gents. There's even a gorgeous men's military hat that I would have loved to wear with this outfit.
- All my photos for this article have been taken in Caledonia, as well. Just slip past the shops to find all these colorful little houses!
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Today's costume went through a few stages of evolution. I originally set out after one of the Victorian gowns available at Chimeric Fashions in Caledonia, but as I made my way around the shopping square looking for a suitable hairstyle to match, I noticed that another shop, irkmade, had updated their shop contents since I'd seen them last. I was completely taken by a red and gold striped under-bust corset, so my planned costume for today transformed from Victorian-chic to pseudo-Steampunk in a matter of moments.